Thursday, September 23, 2010

Raising Hope Review

Fox's Raising Hope premiered Tuesday, September 21st. Despite a slow and at times awkward exposition (was I supposed to laugh at a character being electrocuted?), it found its footing.

It's a bit "so offensive you laugh first and then blush second" mixed in with a bit of hick/southern/down-home/trailer-trash humor last seen on creator Greg Garcia's My Name is Earl and you have a show that can easily get a second season pick up as long as it doesn't alienate it's audience. It's going to be a fine line, and Garcia needs to be careful not to spend too long in proving how ignorant lead character Jimmy is about raising a baby. That will get old, quick.

From what I've seen so far, this seems to be one of the more promising comedy offerings this season. Not sure how promising that is! After the premiere I'd give it a B. Episode 2 and 3 will better tell whether this show will get a coveted spot on my stretched-thin DVR, or whether I won't even bother to Hulu the season if I'm home sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment